An easy Italian recipe for kids: Italian Pistachio Cannoli!
Make it a cannoli recipe night. This family friendly recipe is perfect for a tea treat or light dessert that your kids will love cooking with you.
A super simple timeless dessert that will usher you back into the heart of ancient Sicily. Filled with a nutty and sweet pistachio cream and chocolate, this dessert takes the traditional filled Italian pastry to a new level.
As a staple of Sicilian cuisine, the Cannolo, or little tube, originated on the island of Sicily in the city of Palermo. These Italian desserts consist of a fried tube-shaped shell and is filled with a sweet cream cheese filling. Sicilians once referred to cannoli tubes as Cappeli de Turchi, or Turkish. They originated with the Saracens, an ancient Arabic peoples, when they brought sugarcane to the region.
5 Minutes | Serves 6-12
Ingredients: Italian Pistachio Cannoli
8 oz Italian Pistachio Sweet Cream
8 oz ricotta cheese
¼ cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
¼ cup Pistachios, shelled and finely chopped
12 mini or 6 large Cannoli shells - find at Italian bakeries or specialty grocery store
½ cup powdered sugar for dusting
Ziploc or pastry bag
Directions: Italian Pistachio Cannoli
- Melt half of the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 30 second intervals until melted, stirring each time. Do not overcook or it will become burnt and hard.
- Put the chopped pistachios into another bowl. Dip both ends of each cannoli shell into the melted chocolate, then into the pistachios. Arrange on a baking sheet and place into the fridge to harden.
- For our cannoli filling, mix together the Italian pistachio sweet cream, ricotta, and remaining chocolate. Place in a pastry bag or Ziploc bag to use in filling shells.
- Carefully slide the baking sheet with shells out of the fridge. If using a Ziploc bag, cut a corner and squeeze the ricotta filling into shells on both ends. Pressing air out each time as you continue to fill each shell.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Note: You can mix filling early and place in the refrigerator, but don’t fill shells until time to serve, as the shells will soften.
Buon Appetito, enjoy the Italian Pistachio Cannoli!