Give 'em pumpkin to talk about!!! The Fall Pumpkin Pasta is a heartwarming, dairy-free fall pasta recipe. Pumpkin, Sausage and Sage create a creamy, earthy and savory blend. Perfect for Fall!
30 minutes | Serves 6-8
Fun Fact! Our Penne is classified as Penne Rigate.
In Italy, penne is produced in two main variants – "penne lisce" (smooth) and "penne rigate" (furrowed), the latter having ridges on each penna.
Ingredients for Fall Pumpkin Pasta
1 pound Italian sausage
8-ounces of fresh baby spinach
1 can of pumpkin purée (15-ounce)
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 green onion, chopped
2 fresh sage leaves, chopped
2 cups of pasta water
Directions for Fall Pumpkin Pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, salt well — like the sea.
- In a large pan or skillet, brown Italian sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it into pieces as it cooks, about 8 minutes.
- Once sausage is browned, Add chopped green onion, fresh sage, garlic, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. Cook down; stirring frequently, until garlic is softened and slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drop the Dagostino Penne Rigate Pasta in the salted boiling water. Before draining save 2 cups of water. Cook pasta for 6 minutes to al dente (still firm when bitten).
- Reduce heat to low and add spinach to pan and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Add pumpkin purée, pasta, salt and pepper to taste. Slowly stir in pasta water, about 1/2 cup at a time, until sauce has reached desired consistency. (We used about 1.5 cup of pasta water, add less or more for your desired consistency)
Buon Appetito! Enjoy your homemade Fall Pumpkin Pasta with Sage and Italian Sausage with Dagostino Penne Rigate Pasta
About Dagostino Handmade Pasta
From Lemons to Premium Pasta...
Our founders, the Fresina Family, were some of the original lemon farmers in Sicily during the early 19th century. During that time, Sicilians created settlements in New Orleans as citrus traders and brought pasta with them on their voyage. The Fresina Family felt right at home in Louisiana which led to The Fresina Macaroni Manufacturing Company being born in 1926. This began the foundation of 3 generations of hard-work and implementing traditional Italian methods to create handmade pasta that is now Dagostino Pasta.
We continue to stick to our Italian roots by producing our pasta the old-fashioned way right here in Baton Rouge. Our centuries-old delicate method consists of small quantities of pure semolina pasta cut through bronze, carefully looped over wooden rods, straightened and the air-dried in wooden cellars. We are dedicated to preserving our family traditions and Italian customs for many more generations to come.
Every pure artisan pasta deserves to be paired with a delicious sauce. Dagostino has some of the most authentic sauces available outside of Italy. Our fresh herb and spice blend is unique, preservative free, and all handmade in small batches. We pride ourselves for our ingredients being all-natural and preservative free, providing you with premium artisan pasta and tasty sauces to enjoy.
You will experience our time-honored family treasure in every meal.
Recipe inspired by Melissa Belanger of SimplyWhisked.com