Looking for a healthy fall recipe? The warm undertones of pumpkin mixed with some of those Fall spices we know and love, like cinnamon or nutmeg, are exactly the ticket we are so excited about in the Fall.
Dagostino’s Rotini pasta sticks so delightfully to the pumpkin sauce and it has become a family favorite when the air is nice and crisp and we are craving a good pasta recipe that feels a little like comfort food.
20 minutes | Serves 6-8
- What can you do with canned pumpkin that is not a pie?
- Ingredients for Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage
- Directions for Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage
- About Dagostino Pasta
What can you do with canned pumpkin that is not a pie?
What would Fall be without a good pumpkin pie? There are many different options besides pie to make with pumpkin this fall. We love the savory flavors of pumpkin mixed with fall spices like nutmeg or cinnamon.
The thing to remember when cooking with canned pumpkin this fall is to read carefully on which product you are buying. If the recipe calls for “Canned Pumpkin”, make sure you aren’t buying “pumpkin pie filling” and that it says “pure pumpkin” or something to that effect. That is because you may see that your pumpkin puree has been replaced with a mixture of winter squash, which will not have the desired effect for your fall recipe.
Ingredients for Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage
1.25 lb Kielbasa Polish Sausage, cut to half moons
1 tbsp Dagostino Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large bay leaf
2 tbsp dried sage
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (DON’T BUY PUMPKIN PIE FILLING)
½ cup heavy cream
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ cup pecorino or parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, salt well — like the sea.
- In a large sauce sauce pan, add the olive oil and heat at a medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown. Remove sausage and place to the side once cooked.
- To the pan you cooked the sausage in, lower the heat to medium. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté until caramelized.
- Add bay leaf, crushed red pepper, dried sage, and white wine.
- Once simmering add chicken stock, canned pumpkin, and browned sausage. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in heavy cream, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook at a light simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the pumpkin sauce is simmering, add the Dagostino Rotini Pasta to the boiling water and cook for 5-6 minute to al dente. Drain the pasta in a collider.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in pecorino
- To serve, place the desired amount of pasta into an individual bowl and place sauce on top. Sprinkle with more cheese if desired.
Buon Appetito! Enjoy your Fall Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage
About Dagostino Handmade Pasta
From Lemons to Premium Pasta
Our story started with lemon farmers in Sicily. In the early 19th century lemons would go on long voyages from Sicily to New Orleans, usually taking around 100 days. These Sicilians would create settlements in New Orleans and with them came pasta.
The Fresina Family, our founders, were some of these original lemon farmers and started creating handmade pasta in New Orleans in 1926. Since then, the D’Agostino and Hayward families have continued their tradition of creating premium handmade pasta.
Our pasta is still made the old-fashioned way, in our Baton Rouge pasta factory, using the “delicate” method developed centuries ago. Small quantities of purse semolina pasta are cut through bronze, carefully looped over wooden rods, straightened, and then air-dried in wooden cellars.
Celebrated for its delicate texture and classic flavor, our pasta is handmade, all-natural, and preservative free, producing the best tasting pasta available on the market today.
Our sauces are some of the most authentic sauces available outside of Italy. The sauces are handmade in small batches with a unique blend of fresh herbs and spices. Made without preservatives, each batch is carefully examined by our chefs and food scientists to ensure our sauces are the best tasting on the market.
You will experience our time honored family treasure in every meal.