We're diving into another dish that'll have you cheering louder than at the Superdome - Dagostino's Black and Gold Pasta Salad.
It's quick, it's easy, and it's all about that black and gold spirit!
This recipe highlights savory and and delicious blackened shrimp and Semolina Gold Fleur De Lis Pasta.
See end of Blog for recipe for Classic Blackened Shrimp!
Between Italian American traditions and traditions unique to small Italian villages, there are hundreds of kinds of Italian cookies. That said, you can divide Italian cookies into six different groups based on their preparation method.
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound Dagastino fleur de lis shaped pasta
- 3 ½ tbsp good-quality olive oil divided
- 4 tbsp Creole mustard
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp cane syrup
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp Cajun seasoning, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¾ cup shallots finely minced
- 1 cup yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- ¾ cup cooked Camellia Brand black beans
- 1 can black olives, sliced (2.25 oz)
- Chilled Blackened Shrimp, for optional garnish (can use chilled blackened chicken, cubed as substitute)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
Keep in mind that there are many variations of each type of cookie in Italian baking. We've shared some of the most popular cookies below.
- Follow the instructions to cook your Camellia Brand black beans. Set aside ¾ cup to chill for this recipe. The remaining can be refrigerated or frozen for later use.
- While the beans are chilling, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the Dagostino fleur de lis shaped pasta and cook for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Drain in colander and rinse with cool water.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mix in 1 ½ tbsps. olive oil.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the remaining 2 tbsps. olive oil, creole mustard, mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, cane syrup, and hot sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add water 1 tbsp. at a time, to thin slightly.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add the shallots, tomatoes, bell pepper, celery, chilled cooked Camellia Brand black beans, olives, and sauce to the pasta in the large bowl and mix until well combined. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish with shrimp and chopped parsley.
Recipe for making blackened shrimp
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, oil, and spices. Marinate in the fridge for at least 40 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Heat a medium cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Once the pan is hot, coat the pan with a light drizzle of oil and cook the shrimp in batches for 2 minutes per side until cooked through (opaque). Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Remove from the pan and allow the shrimp to chill for at least 1 hour.