Honey is one of the oldest ingredients in the world. This special ingredient actually dates back to Sumerian and Babylonian writings over 4,000 years ago. This sweet substance has a limitless amount of uses, from practical to health.
At Dagostino’s we adore fresh local honey, and we want you to know why you should be using it!
- What is the health benefits of honey?
- How do you use honey in food?
- Spiced Honey and Garlic Pasta Recipe
What is the health benefits of honey?
Most of us have used honey before to improve our health, from mixing it with hot tea for coughing in children to ingesting some to address seasonal allergies. But there are so many more health benefits this sweet substance provides.
Many use it to address skin problems like dandruff or for treating skin wounds and burns.
Some studies have shown that the bacteria killing properties of honey is great to use for skin wound healing.
Is raw honey bad for you?
Raw honey only differs from other types of honey in the nutrients it carries. Raw honey consumed in moderation is a great way to get the vitamins, antioxidants and benefits it offers. The antioxidant properties have even been linked to lowering blood pressure. Pasteurized honey is stripped of these elements and sometimes has unnecessary added sugars.
Always consult your doctor before adding something new to your diet.
Both raw and regular honey may contain tiny amounts of Clostridium botulinum, a bacteria. This bacteria can cause botulism, which is a rare form of food poisoning. If you experience negative side effects when consuming honey, you may want to avoid using it while you cook!
How much honey is healthy?
Honey consumed in moderation is the key to receiving all of it’s benefits. It’s recommended to have about one small spoonful of this ingredient per day. Good thing there’s so many fun ways to eat this ingredient. Always consult your doctor before adding something new to your diet.
How do you use honey in food?
We know this sticky ingredient is super sweet and fun to add in certain foods, but here’s a list of ways you can use honey in food that you might not have thought of:
- Drizzle it on your favorite ice cream
- Top your favorite cheese on your charcuterie board with it
- Add it to the top of a melty pizza for a sweet and savory flavor
- Make it into a glaze for tender chicken
- Create and sweet and spicy sauce for stir-fry veggies
- Replace sugar with honey in coffee, tomato sauce, and even baked goods!
- Add other spices or fruit to it for more flavors.
At Dagostino’s we use honey in our tomato sauce, instead of sugar. This is a way to cut the natural acidity of tomatoes and elevate the flavor profile. The result is so delicious, you need to try it for yourself.
Spiced Honey and Garlic Pasta Recipe
This is a very fun and easy pasta to make any night of the week that includes using honey!
The end result is a sweet, savory and spicy flavor profile that delights anyone. This is a great side dish to pair with your main course. We love this recipe because you can easily make it vegan friendly, or you can add your favorite protein to it to make it a main course.
- 1 package of Dagostino Angel Hair pasta
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup of local honey
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 tsp of italian seasoning
- 1 tsp of fresh parsley
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a rolling boil on high heat. Add pasta and cook according to directions on the box.
- Place a skillet or large saucepan on medium heat. Add butter and garlic. Saute until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add honey, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- Once your pasta reaches Al Dente, add pasta into a skillet with butter garlic and seasonings.
- Add Parmesan Cheese and toss until fully combined.
- Top dish with fresh parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Honey is a powerful ingredient, from the taste to the benefits, we think everyone should be including honey when they cook. As you can see, there’s many different ways to use honey when you cook. The options are literally limitless!
If you decide to cook with this super ingredient, tag us on our social media so we can share!